Friday, January 25, 2008

Housework avoidance syndrome

I am irritated.

And I am really irritated that I am irritated.

For some reason today I feel premenstrual, although I don't think I should be. Not that I'd know given that my cycles are still out of whack, presumably thanks to a booby monster named E.

Anyway. I'm edgy, sick of my own company and wanting to do something, achieve, tick a task off a list. Anything.

I blame it on the need to do housework.

Housework is the scourge of a project oriented person because it is never complete. Nowadays it seems like I am expending far too much energy sweeping, dusting, vacuuming, only to have to start all over again as I move from one end of the house to the other over the course of a day or week. Because E is on the floor all the time we've had to step up the usual level of cleanliness, and to my horror it seems to me as if our carpet is a seething, teeming mass of dirt, fluff and worse still, endless strands of my very long hair (thanks Mr Dyson). I HATE it.

Truth be told, I think it's a bit of cabin fever. Before children I was not really a homebody, preferring to while away my daytime hours at work, shopping, visiting people...just simply out and about. With little children naturally comes more time at home and more time at home...you guessed it..equals more housework.

I am also very resentful of unpaid drudge work. I, like so many other before me have found it a huge shock to go from a well paid professional position to full time domestic labourer. However what I find even more amazing is that so many continue to do so without complaint.

Can you tell that we have, amongst other things, just given up our fortnightly cleaning service to make our budget stretch further so that I can...wait here it is...stay at home for a bit longer with the kids?

Bah humbug.

2 Comments:

At 2:05 PM, Blogger Ann said...

I know EXACTLY what you mean. Seems like we are never DONE when it comes to housework!

And it doesnt help that all parental articles state is cruel to refine a crawling toddler to a pen!

For me....I nag and nag and get so grouchy if I have to do all the chores that hubby nows takes on more chores that (I reckon) he would like to do!

 
At 2:08 AM, Blogger Moomykin said...

A friend once said this:
Chores can only be postponed. You can't do them in advance.

How true. Chores are relatively well shared out among the 3 stay-home adults, so we are about Ok. But of course, with kids, there will always be some toys strewn about the sitting room.

I take my mum-in-law and the boys out everyday. Given the battle zone that the house can become sometimes, so we all are kept somewhat sane, and the boys have lots of growth stimulations.

Thank God for the cars.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home